Saturday, April 28, 2012

Happy Birthday, Ulysses S. Grant




 I had a most interesting encounter yesterday.  As I head north on a long trip, I visited the Ulysses S. Grant Birthplace in Point Pleasant, Ohio - one of several presidential sites I aim to see on this trip.  The day of my visit turned out to have been his 190th birthday.  In commemoration, the local historical societies from Clermont and Brown counties, arranged to have a new signs directing traffic towards this site.  The pictures above show the sign, the two re-enactors depicting Grant and (of all people) Custer (!!!), and the cake they baked for him.  The crowd was somewhat meager - probably twenty people.  While they clearly had an economic motive at stake - the local director gave me a dining suggestion - it was nice to see them take their history seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is awaiting moderator's approval.